Cristiano Ronaldo surpasses Pele after hat-trick for Portugal
Poriborton Desk 1:52 pm, September 01, 2017
The Real Madrid forward was at his awesome best once again in a meeting with the Faroe Islands, with his international goal return now standing at 78. Cristiano Ronaldo has passed Brazil legend Brazil in the international goalscoring stakes after moving on to 78 for Portugal.
The Real Madrid superstar was at his unplayable best once again on Thursday as he dominated a World Cup qualifying clash with the Faroe Islands.
The European minnows were unable to contain the 32-year-old as he plundered a hat-trick.
In collecting another match ball for his collection, Ronaldo has moved to fifth on the list of all-time international goalscorers.
The four-time Ballon d’Or winner had entered the midweek round of fixtures two behind the iconic figure of Pele, but has now swept past him.
Only Ali Daei (109), Ferenc Puskas (84), Kunishige Kamamoto (80) and Godfrey Chitalu (79) sit above Ronaldo.
His latest efforts have also seen him reach another milestone in terms of World Cup qualifiers.
Ronaldo’s treble against the Faroes has taken him onto 14 for the current campaign, with that haul matching that of former Real striker Predrag Mijatovic.
Ronaldo helped Portugal to European Championship glory last summer and will be hoping to inspire further international success if he can guide his country to a Russian showpiece in 2018.
Other news Of this category
- Khulna Division post first win in NCL
- PSG struggle without Neymar in dour draw
- Writ filed challenging legality of BCB's AGM
- SA announce squad for first Test against Bangladesh
- Injured Neymar to miss first PSG game
- Tamim to undergo scan to determine extent of injury
- Rubel to fly for SA tonight after finally getting security clearance
- Sri Lanka qualify for 2019 World Cup following West Indies defeat
- Injury concerns plague South Africa ahead of Bangladesh series
- Bangladesh clinch incredible victory against India