Indian Army Brigadier punished for having extra marital affair with Colonel's wife
Poriborton Desk 1:51 pm, October 12, 2017
An Indian Army Brigadier's extra-marital affair with his senior's wife has reportedly cost him a "four-year loss of seniority for promotion purposes" and a severe reprimand, reports The Huffington Post.
The Brigadier, posted at the time under the Eastern Command near Siliguri in West Bengal, had been carrying out an affair with a Lieutenant Colonel's wife. Unfortunately for them, his wife, who is reportedly a principal in a well-known school in New Delhi, found out about the affair and wrote to the Indian Army.
While the Brigadier and the Colonel's wife at first denied they were having an affair, the junior officer later pleaded guilty in front of a General Courts Martial (GCM) of the Army after his wife submitted Whatsapp messages exchanged by the Brigadier and the Colonel's wife.
Having an affair with a "brother" (another officer) in the Indian Army is considered a court-martial offence. Similar cases in the past have reportedly attracted five years' rigorous imprisonment.
Other news Of this category
- US quits UNESCO citing anti-Israel bias, Israel immediately follows suit
- Pope Francis to visit Bangladesh
- Palestinian rivals Fatah and Hamas agree milestone reconciliation
- US flies bombers over Korea as Trump discusses options
- India's top technology institute suspends 22 students for ragging juniors
- Preparations underway amid fresh Rohingya refugee surge in Bangladesh: UNHCR
- Rohingya insurgent ceasefire ends in Myanmar with no report of attacks
- American Richard H. Thaler wins Nobel Prize in economics
- West edges towards punishing Myanmar army leaders over Rohingya crisis
- Iran confirms nuclear negotiator imprisoned for spying